Friday, September 18, 2009

Amedeo Modigliani

I knew nothing of the personal life of Amedeo Modigliani when first introduced to his art in college. Only later, after reading his biography, did I learn about the man and a life of sickness, poverty, and addiction. Dead of tuberculosis before the age of thirty-six, Modigliani had only one solo exhibition in his lifetime, and gave away many of his paintings for food.

No introduction to his art was needed. The pain, sorrow and dark beauty of his life were present full force in his paintings, making an immediate and profound impression. Yet there is another element of Modigliani's work that I find particularly appealing. I cannot look at his sublime portraits of women without also feeling a sense of allure, a hint of danger, and, above all, mystery. And isn't that, after all, what we look for in women.

2 comments:

Mark Kerstetter said...

His sculpture was great too. Brancusi took notice. At night he liked to put a lit candle on the heads of his tall, deeply mysterious figures.

rick whalen said...

I have watched the movie several times, Andy Garcia played a very good "Modi", and as an artist I can sometimes feel those feelings of torment, not from drug addiction, but the need to have my work sell, be shown, and as an artist, feel accepted by my peers. Fact is I have all the above, just not always when I want, we are a moody group! Loved your slide show of his work, makes me want to have a dark period again.
Rick Whalen