Monday, June 29, 2009

Little Boxes

It is not necessary to work eight hours a day seven days a week to create a body of art. All that is required is a willingness to somehow get the job done. Painting sixty minutes a day over a year's time will give many hours in the studio.

The writer Elmore Leonard got up at 5:00 am and wrote for two hours before going to work at an ad agency. He did it for ten years and turned out five books and 30 short stories.

My ad agency days are thankfully behind me and I've found arising in the dark unappealing. The best I can muster is staring out the window at daybreak, nursing a cup of darjeeling.

But working here and there over time, I've amassed a sizeable body of new paintings and drawings. Above is a mixed-media painting on masonite called Little Boxes.

No comments: